Door repair is one of the most important & useful handyman services, together with carpentry, ceiling repair, drywall repairs & installation, decks repairs, fence fixing, dryer vent installation & cleaning, flooring installation & repair, insulation installation, and window installation & windows screens repairs. However, since every apartment or house has at least 4 or 5 interior doors, it’s logical that this is a more common and sought-after service. Even though you could theoretically DIY, it’s better to ask for professional help since they will do the job quicker, better, and, surprisingly, cheaper (since you don’t have to buy any supplies).
Home & Business Services – HBSOnTime.com, in short, is a family-owned local company, operating since 2013 in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA. They offer professional cleaning services (residential, commercial, windows, air ducts, carpets), as well as home maintenance, turnkey services, and, last but not least, handyman services. In Fredericksburg, as well as the counties of Culpeper, Caroline, King George, Louisa, Orange, Spotsylvania, and Stafford, they are famous for their impeccable work ethics, the state-of-the-art technology they use, as well as the fact that they are always on time, as their name suggests, and they are very respectful towards their clients.
When it comes to door repair, the experts in handyman services note that there are five common situations: either the door is too hard to open, it rattles in its frame, the hinge screws have pulled out, the door doesn’t glide (if it’s a sliding door), or it has a scratch or hole. As you would expect, the solution is different for each of the cases, but a highly-trained professional, from a company such as the one mentioned above, will always know what to do. Here is his approach for each of the cases:
- When the door is hard to open. “Usually, this happens if the wood is rubbing against the frame. Therefore, we check the hinges first, as it may be enough to tighten the screws. Otherwise, we might need to trim excess paint or wood from the door”, the specialist in handyman services says;
- When it rattles in its frame. “This happens if the strike plate is recessed due to multiple layers of paint. It’s easy to fix, all we need to do is unscrew the strike plate, add a shim and replace it. Other fixes include filing the strike plate so that the latch bolt will align with it properly, or removing it and reattaching in a new location”, he adds;
- When the hinge screws pulled out. “When this happens, the screws could take a big piece of particleboard with them. In this case, the door hinges will be easily fixed with gap-filling glue. Before reinstalling the door, the glue must completely dry”, warns the expert in handyman services;
- When the sliding door doesn’t glide. “After a few years in use, the sliding door might become difficult to open and close. In this case, we clean it thoroughly, vacuuming the tracks, and washing them with soap and hot water. To remove deep-down dirt, we use a toothbrush. The worst-case scenario, but still not too complicated, involves changing the rollers”, the Home & Business Services employee says;
- When the door has a hole or scratch. “Minor scratches can be sanded, while major scrapes and breaks can be fixed by using putty or epoxy filler”, the handyman services professional concludes.