Since long granite has been a popular choice of material for kitchen and bathroom countertops. If you are planning a kitchen remodel or building a new house, you might be exploring options for countertop materials. Well granite is a commonly used materials and granite countertops add to the aesthetics of kitchens and bathrooms. Quartz countertops are a strong competition to granite when it comes to the choice of material.
Why should you consider granite countertops?
There are many factors that you need to consider when you are choosing a countertop material. If you are considering granite as one of the materials, here are some facts about granite that you must know:
- Heat resistance: Granite is resistant to heat and hence it does not melt or blister when it is exposed to heat. You can place hot pans directly on the surface without any worry.
- Maintenance Granite countertops are easy to maintain. The likelihood that the surface needs repair or replacement is very low. The sealers have become very advanced, and once applied properly they last for a decade easily.
- Scratch resistance: Granite has a score of 7 on the Mohs scale, which measures mineral hardness. This indicates that it cannot be scratched easily. While you can cut on the granite surface directly this is not recommended as this can dull your knives.
- Resistance to chemicals: Acids or bases do not corrode the granite surface. However, you must be careful with repeated use, as some chemicals can remove the sealer. This will lead to the need of resealing.
- Price: Granite countertops are considered an affordable option. Don’t get swayed by the misconception that granite is always expensive. The final quote will also depend on fabrication and installation.
Pros of using granite:
- Granite countertops do not depreciate. In fact, they enhance the value of your home.
- It is a natural stone with a unique look
- It keeps bacteria away and hence contamination is not a problem
- It can easily bear the heat of a cooking utensil
- It is easy to clean the surface with soap or a mild detergent
Things to remember when shopping for granite countertops
Here are a few things that you should keep in mind when you are shopping for granite countertops.
- Ask for a free quote: Share as many details as possible with the dealer and ask for a free quote.
- Understand the details of the estimate: Review the quote and understand what all it covers.
- Visit the showroom: You must never buy a granite slab by just looking at the picture. Granite is 100% natural and each slab its own unique pattern and look. Therefore, you must choose the granite in person.
- Have some idea of the colour: Granite comes in many colours, and these are usually grouped in 10 categories like whites, reds, greens, yellows, browns, blacks, blues, etc. Make sure you pick a granite shade that goes well with the flooring, cabinets, and anything else in that space.
Here are some questions that you can ask your granite dealer before buying the countertop:
- Can I place hot items directly on the granite surface?
- Can I cut food on the surface using knives?
- Should I use a drop-in sink or an undermount sink?
- Please explain the fabrication and installation process
- What all does the quote include
- What types of edge is recommended?
- What is the maintenance requirement of the slab that is being recommended?
- Is there a warranty and what all does it cover?
Asking the above questions will help you make the right decision in a simple way. You will have all necessary information at your disposal, and you can accordingly make a choice.